Friday, June 26, 2015

I was Silent When You Cried

Marquita Byrd, Ph.D.

I was Silent When You Cried
Marquita L. Byrd

Yesterday, women asked for fair pay. I was silent because I had a living wage.
Then an outdoor citizen asked for somewhere to stay. I turned my head, didn't say a word, refused to look into her face.

Baltimore denounced police brutality. I turned off the TV because the police weren't shooting me.
When Queers at Stonewall were beaten in the streets: I said nothing because "I thought I was free".

Disabled people shouted "this is not fair." I held my tongue because I just knew I was already there.
Then, a mosque burned down to the ground. I was not Muslim, I didn't care.

I heard the elders had to choose, medicine or food. I was quiet because I just wasn't in the mood.
When "the other"  cried for help I stood still, I said nothing, I refused to move.

Now, I live from paycheck to paycheck, homelessness knocking at the door. My gay child bullied at the school door. I can't get into my apartment because I can't walk the stairs, found my parents eating cat food because no food stamps were there.

Yesterday I thought, "I'll just let everybody be". Today, I am scared because there is no one to speak for me.

*Feel free to use with proper citation.
Byrd, M. (2015). I was silent when you cried. Culture chat: living in  a multicultural society.
        www.blogger.com 





Culture Force Wants You to Get Involved


No comments:

Post a Comment